Monday 15 October 2018

Feedback Strategies

The first article I read on giving Feedback was Why do so many managers avoid giving praise. I could relate to some of the information in this article for example i agreed with the fact that sometimes it feels like a manager can be "quick to criticise slow to praise" and sometimes in the work place this can make you feel very unmotivated. From this article I learned that there could be a reason behind not giving very much praise for example a manager might see them selves as being weak or soft by giving too much praise or they may actually not have time or even realise they haven't been giving positive feedback. This article also talked about the fact that a large percentage of managers felt anxious when giving feedback and how managers may only feel like they need to give feedback on things that need correcting instead of things that are up to scratch.

The second article I read was How to give feedback without sounding like a jerk by Adam Grant. This was my favourite out of the two articles and I picked it because I thought it would be useful to me. I am one of the senior staff in my job and I often have to train in new staff, I find it difficult to give feedback and almost feel a bit afraid to try especially when I am giving feedback to someone who is a lot older than me, I find it awkward and also feel like they don't take it very well when I do try so I'm definitely going to attempt and use these techniques from now on. I didn't realise how transparent it must sound to try and sugarcoat feedback and to only throw in positive feedback to make you feel better or sound nice. I liked the idea of making it obvious that "i'm not perfect, i'm trying to get better too" so that whoever your giving feedback to doesn't feel inferior and that it's obvious your trying to improve yourself and the way you give feedback. I feel like this overall makes it easier for both parties and gives the person receiving feedback to also give feedback on how they think you have feedback.


Honest Feedback Welcome


Overall I feel like i've benefited from both of these articles and I will definetely try and put all of the techniques to use. I think feedback is really important, without feedback it's hard to know where you stand or how to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment