Thursday 4 October 2018

Thoughts on Unity Tutorial 01

I downloaded Unity onto my laptop to do the tutorials this week. I find tutorials really helpful and quick when trying to achieve anything and often watch them to help with all of my modules and the beginner game ones were really good. They were easy to follow and if you were struggling you could start and stop it at any point and rewind to re-watch it until you could follow.

Overall I learned a lot about starting off on unity and got to try and get used to some of the basics.


 Following unity tutorial
In the first tutorial i learned how to navigate around unity and to make a game object. I also learned how to scale and move game objects around and about the game screen. I found this tutorial really helpful with all of the shortcuts (cmd+Z = Undo) and I definitely wouldn't have been able to start with the second tutorial as this one had key basic instructions. This video ended with us creating a terrain and learning how to add bumps and dips.

In the second and third tutorial we learned how to add textures and materials to Unity and how to put them onto game objects. It was slightly difficult at the start but I messed around with it long enough that i feel like I had gotten the hang of it by the end. We learned how to add trees and grass and how to input first player camera, it was really cool creating a little world and being able to explore it. We were introduced to C sharp coding which took a bit of pausing and rewinding to get the hang of. I also took a while trying to create an even enough path through the game like mountains, it took some time to try and get the path even and walkable looking.

Overall I really enjoyed trying to design a little world and walk around in it after, it made me want to try and make something look better for when I clicked into playing mode again. I'm looking forward to learning more and improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment