Sunday 7 October 2018

Feedback thoughts

After browsing through the articles, the first article that I picked was Why rejection hurts so much by Guy Winch. I chose this article because everyone has dealt with rejection at some stage in their lives and any tips on dealing with rejection are extremely useful. In the article Winch talks about how it’s been scientifically proven that the same part of the brain that is activated during felling physical pain is also activated when feeling the hurt of rejection which is weird that your mind is programmed to feel rejection so bad. My favourite part was when he talked about how your really your own worst enemy after rejection that instead of trying to help yourself get over the hurt you are experiencing you give yourself a harder time, he says that "The greatest damage rejection causes is usually self inflicted. Just when our self esteem is hurting most, we go and damage it even further". I loved this article and will definitely use the tips Winch gives about how you can help yourself after feeling unwanted and rejected.


The second article I read was Seven ways to crush self doubt by John Spencer. I found this article very useful as I often have a lot of self doubt especially when it comes to college work for example last week in my Drama Filmmaking module had to present our ideas for or short films, I dreaded having to present mine all day because I was afraid that my idea would sound stupid compared to other people in my classes ideas which is a negative outlook to have. The first tip that John Spencer has is to not compare yourself to others he point out its natural to try and compare yourself to others because you "don't want to suck" at what your doing "and it's way too easy to find validation by comparing" but its unhealthy and can only result in arrogance or self doubt.

Spencer also talked about how trying to think of all of your work and ideas as experiments can really help with self doubt "if it didn't work it's not a failure, its a chance to figure out what does work". Not doing any work or trying at all is the biggest result and will always result in failure.





Trust yourself picture

I really enjoyed reading theses two articles and feel like there are some really good tips that will help me in my day to day life. In my opinion feedback is really important, for anyone to be able to succeed they need a lot of feedback on their work. I think It's about finding the balance you need to be getting feedback but getting productive feedback. For example when I was in school I had a teacher who would always tell you something positive about you or your work and something that needed improvement so you felt good about yourself and motivated to try harder in other in the things she critiqued. On the other hand I had other teachers who would never give any sort of motivation or positive feedback it would always be negative so I ended up feeling  horrible about the subject and not wanting to try. I think getting feedback from people who are fair, honest and understanding is a key to success in anything you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment